Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Form and Content

This took me a lot longer to post an entry than I think it should have. For a while I was stumped as for what I should do. I looked at Eusher and some of his work. I looked at cupcakes with fun designs. I looked at images inside of a single larger image. I looked at words creating images. I looked at photographs of brides in their wonderfully beautiful, traditional wedding gowns. Nothing seemed to fit the idea of form and content flowing seamlessly together. While looking, I found was a quote from Paul Rand:

     “A work of art is realized when form and content are indistinguishable. When they are in synthesis. In other words, when they fuse. When form predominates, meaning is blunted… When content predominates, interest lags.” 

I wanted to find something different, but I seemed to be looking in all the wrong places. Something that came up in our discussion during class was about advertisements. We did not dive into it deep (I believe the other class did), but it got me thinking... what about signs?! So here is what I decided to display. I still do not know that it is the 'perfect' depiction of form and content, but I am going to attempt to explain it as best as I can.

When I saw this sign I tried to read it. Unfortunately, it took a few minutes to register that the words are upside down and backwards. Yes, I probably should have been drawn to the dark shadow that was simple to read, but no. Not me, I always figure out a way to make things a little more complicated. Ok, not the point. Anyways... The definition of form is the work's style or method, while the content is the essence of the image. The form of this is the sign, but the message displayed is simple and to the point. I thought it was a brilliant idea to make it readable when the sun shines on it in just the right light. When the message is used properly, viewed the way it was intended, the message is plain and simple. Maybe, you should take a break under an umbrella, or reapply some sun block. Honestly, I think this sign is radical, but I am still left wondering, if you shine the light the other way through it... can you still read it?


No comments:

Post a Comment