Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Andy Goldsworthy Art

The first piece of Goldsworthy art that I was introduced to was in my art book. The piece wa  the large rock balancing on top of the smaller pointed one. To me, this piece was intriguing. How in the world was he able to balance it so well on the tiny point? In theory, the larger rock could be a lot smaller than it looks in the photo, so in reality their weights might not be as massive as it appears...

In class, we were asked to look at some more of Goldsworthy's art and chose one that is permanent and write a little something about it. I could not chose just one... like usual.  The thing that caught my attention in these first two images were the curves in both pieces.



Being more of a logical thinker with an engineer's mind, the curves fascinate me! Goldsworthy does not use cement or any man made items in his art, and yet these curved shapes are able to hold together like champs! For me, the idea of how tightly he had to press the individual stones together is awe inspiring. I am constantly waiting for them to fall. While looking at the bridge over the wall, I've tried to imagine what would happen if it rains? Will the stones get slippery and begin to separate?



I enjoy this next Goldsworthy piece because of how the simplicity of the elements combined with the mind of Goldsworthy, this piece became a complex masterpiece. The overall project is a very neat piece, and the close up shot gives me more of an idea how all of the twigs are linked together.





Personally, I find Goldsworthy's art to be very intriguing and unique. The next entry will be where I create my own piece similar to his. Hopefully, /i will be able to create something just as interesting as his. 


No comments:

Post a Comment